Imy looks thrilled for the new year right?
2013 was a great year. There were a lot of ups and downs, a lot of bad and good. The holidays were a wonderful, exhausting, and super fun buzz of activity. We are seriously blessed to have such great family and friends.
I am glad to see 2014 has rolled around and I am excited to gets started on some goals this year.
Goal 1: Yoga. I have been practicing yoga off and on for the last few years, never getting beyond the basics and beginner status. I plan to change that this year and deepen my practice.
Goal 2: Declutter. I want to simplify. Our already small house has gained 2 new residents in the past year and there is simply not enough room for everything. We have excess and I want to really work on cutting back on excess items and focus only on the items that are related to things I want to focus on here and now. Yoga is one of those, but also reading and writing, music (my violin and guitar), healthy eating, medical transcription, drawing, and photography. I also plan on working through Imy’s stash of items as well, streamlining what we have because there is a lot she has just outgrown.
Goal 3: Paleo-ish diet. I need to get back to this diet, it is what really worked best for me and had me feeling great. Not totally Paleo, but limited breads, dairy and grains. I still like to have oatmeal, toast and cheese. :)Over the holidays I completely fell off the train and I need to detox from all that sugar and get back into better, whole-foods, no simple carbs eating.
Goal 4: Medical transcription. This is pretty much a must-do. I want to finish my course finally and start getting paid for all that typing.
I like to set a few large goals for each new year and focus on making those things a bigger part of my life. Last year my goals were:
- Keep on running! I didn’t really do this because I had a bunch of trouble with my knee. I have been running off and on but really focusing on strength training instead.
- Do at least five 5ks this year. I did one. :p I plan to do at least one this year as well.
- Stop using plastic bags! Some months I did great and other months I failed. We really have stopped shopping at most stores with plastic bags recently (we get most food from Bountiful Baskets, Costco, etc. and otherwise decline plastic bags at stores) so overall I would say this goal has been a success. I will continue to cut down on the plastic this year.
- Keep eating healthy. - Overall I did well with this. Holidays mean a lot of eating other places though and not having much control over what other people make. That is okay, I am no crazy healthy-food tyrant. I will eat that oreo. Or that cinnamon roll. Or that nacho burger. But I don’t do that daily. As mentioned above I need to get back to eating healthy because I really started feeling yucky after the holiday celebrations were over.
- Potty train Imogen before the end of the year. AHAHAHAHAHA. No. We’ll just carry this over to 2014 and see what happens. Not in any rush, but I hate poop. :)
- Practice the violin! - did really well at the beginning of the year but I have been so busy since the beginning of fall I haven’t gotten to touch my violin. Hoping after we get settled into this new year I can pull it back out.
- More yoga. Once I began working at the Y I was able to really get more yoga in my daily life.
- Spend more time outside. Yes, did this. :)
- Read 15 books. Accomplished.
I had some lofty goals for 2013, and I would say I did pretty well overall. Definitely didn’t get to where I really wanted to with several, but I don’t feel discouraged in any way.
So, here is to 2014!